Monday, May 31, 2010

week 10 - small town america



i love chicago. summer fireworks, the new wing at the art institute, pizza art café in lincoln square, my neighborhood’s energy during the blackhawks finals….there is so much to soak in. but, every now and again, I like to escape to something a little closer to my roots…to small town america.

i grew up in a midwest town with one stoplight…that just blinked red. this weekend, my husband surprised me and planned an escape to a similarly small town. we took a trip to galena, illinois (population 3,400).

it was nice to be in small town america on memorial day weekend. somehow, the american flags seemed brighter and the clouds looked fluffier.

galena felt very familiar to my upbringing…surrounded by farms, banana bread that was exactly like my grandma’s, and coffee that just isn’t the starbucks i’ve become addicted to. however, it is also very different than my home town… as it is so rich in history, hosting ulysses s. grant’s home and the oldest operating hotel in Illinois. (which is where we stayed!) the shopping was fun…I think we strolled through every boutique on main street... there had to have been hundreds. despite being ultra relaxed, I was wondering…”how does mesh break into the galena scene?”


our best meal was at the perry street brasserie. i really thought i was in chicago. the food was beautifully displayed and was perfectly prepared. It was really a highlight of our trip.

i left galena feeling i had been on a journey far, far away. I would recommend it to anyone trying to get out of the city for a little relaxation and revival.

-sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment