Sunday, May 16, 2010

week 8 - oceans

one tuesday, a couple months ago, melissa sent me a starbucks quote off the back of her morning chai tea. the timing was perfect as the night before (on a standard monday mesh night) i was whining about my repetitive 9-5 job and vocalizing a desire for more flexibility in my schedule and a more rewarding feeling at the end of the day.

the quote was something like… "if you don’t take your foot off the edge of the shore, you’ll never swim in the oceans”…

the typical me would have rolled my eyes and thought this was pretty sappy…but not this time. what it said to me was…make the change now! i listen to melissa’s advice. It is to the poignant and direct. she is typically right too.

i did it! so, here I am with one brand new career that i am passionate about, more time for mesh
creativity and no commute on chicago’s eisenhower. i accepted a full time position with a not-for-profit that I had been volunteering with for the last four years. one of our focus areas is orphan care and the fight against child trafficking in India. i have fallen in love with the country and especially my girls at the orphanage, after traveling there the last few years.

so i’ve found that perfect combination….the flexibility and the passion! and no, I am not sitting home eating bon-bons (you know who you are accusing me of this…)…it’s a full time position and I have tons to do!!


leaving the interior design industry was a little scary at the time, but now I get my creative ‘fix’ from mesh…so it’s a perfect fit!

as frightening as it is to take your foot off the edge of the shore…speaking from experience… it feels good in the ocean!


on the table bauble necklaces for barrington boutique

-
sherry

ps...that is me...in india

No comments:

Post a Comment